Choosing a Program of Study

Career and Academic Planning Center

The Career and Academic Planning Center or CAP Center provides accessible and comprehensive advising with an emphasis on establishing a career and academic plan. The CAP Center helps with:

  • Advising new students
  • Choosing a major or career
  • Scheduling and registering for classes
  • Connecting students to necessary resources
  • Preparing a resume
  • Starting a job search


An orientation session is mandatory for all new students. This session provides an opportunity for students to become familiar with policies and regulations, and learn more about the programs and services of the school. Students must attend an orientation session (either in person or online) to learn about Southern Crescent Technical College resources, services, and online student applications.

Diploma to Degree Transfer

A student who desires to change from diploma status to degree status should consult with his or her program advisor; he or she must meet degree admission requirements and complete the Program Change Request Form. Program Change Request Forms should be received in the Admissions Office at least two weeks prior to any registration period.  Students should always consult with the financial aid provider on this type of transfer.

Change of Program

Students who wish to change from one program to another or from the pursuit of one credential to another must meet the admissions requirements for the new program or credential. Students should be aware that credits earned in one program may not apply to a new program. Changing programs may lengthen the time required to complete a program. A Program Change Request Form should be received in the Admissions Office at least two weeks prior to any registration period.

Financial assistance programs have specific guidelines concerning changing programs.

Students who are receiving benefits under a financial aid program (federal, state, or local student aid, veterans’ benefits, and WIOA) should discuss the possible impact of a program change on their benefits.

Students who wish to change their program status should take the following steps:

  1. Complete a Program Change Request form. Click here to access the form ;
  2. Obtain signature from a Financial Aid officer;
  3. Upon approval by Financial Aid, submit form to Admissions Office to have Program Change Request Form evaluated and processed;

  4. The student will be notified of any additional admissions requirements for the new program;
  5. Register for new classes at the Career and Academic Planning Center or with new program advisor.

Students should allow a minimum of two (2) weeks to process the change of program. A student may change his or her program of study no more than twice per year unless he or she has special permission from the appropriate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Dual Majors Policy

A dual major allows a student to seek a secondary program of study. A student may add a second major to his/her existing program as long as both majors have the same level and the same cost. To be considered for a dual major on separate campuses, approval must be made by the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Designee.

Same level - the primary and secondary area of study will have to be the same level, for example, diploma to diploma, degree to degree, certificate to certificate


Same cost - the cost per credit hour for the required courses of both majors will have to be the same


A student may be considered for a dual major in unlike levels if it is the last semester of his/her current major.


A student may take courses in unlike program levels if his/her admissions status is special admit. No more than 17 semester hours taken under the special admit status can be applied toward a certificate, diploma, or degree. Special admit students are not eligible for financial aid.


  1. Dual medical programs are not allowed.
  2. Health Care Assistant students must complete their certificate before adding another major.

Dual Majors Procedure

  1. Complete a Program Change Request Form located in the Admissions Office.
  2. Obtain a signature from a financial aid officer.
  3. Upon approval by all signed parties, the Admissions Office will determine the student’s admissions eligibility for the second program.
  4. Requirements will be noted, and the student will be notified of any additional admissions requirements for the new program.
  5. Upon completion of the admission requirements for the new program, the student will be allowed to take courses within either program, space permitting.
  6. If the secondary program has a waiting list, the student will be placed on the list effective the date of the completion of the admission and core requirements.

Course Expiration

To ensure that students graduate with current skills in their program of study, some courses must be completed within a specific time period. See your individual program curriculum in the SCTC Catalog for the most up-to-date information regarding course expiration.

Credit through Experience

Southern Crescent Technical College recognizes that learning can take place in a variety of settings other than the College classroom. Students who have completed documented training through law enforcement, the military, or similar organizations that provide transcripts from the training may be eligible for college credit. Only current students who have successfully completed at least three (3) hours of credit at Southern Crescent Technical College are eligible to request credit through experience. A maximum of 12 hours can be obtained through experience. Students wishing to be granted credit through experience should obtain a Request for Credit for Experiential Learning Form from the Academic Affairs Office. Along with the form, the student must submit official copies of transcripts that list all training. Training hours must approximate the contact hours for the requested college course. The program coordinator will review the documentation. If all requirements are met, the document will be approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs / Designee, a grade of EXP is assigned and credits are awarded. Quality points are not calculated into the GPA. Experiential credits most likely will not transfer to other colleges; although, transferability is always up to the receiving college. There is no fee for credits earned through experience.